I love capturing moments in time where people and their surroundings are inter-connected.
I love to paint. I’m a painter who paints from the heart– each new painting is from an overwhelming urge to get it on the canvas. I’m compelled. There’s always a story. I’m neurotic about detail. I love finding the perfect sunset; capturing it. I love the dawn; I love how the soft light affects objects. I love cars! Why? Not sure, the only reason that comes to mind is that it’s part of us – it belongs, or belonged, to someone. I love to capture moments in time.
I love how when I do portraits I love that person so much more – I am able to connect with them in a way I had never done before. I love to capture their eyes; their quirky smile or expression.
I love finding the real person in the picture. I love it when I leave the straight path and go find my own path. I love to get lost in a painting and to find my way out of it again. Just as I have said, I am a sucker for detail! I keep berating myself for it but it is who I am, and this is where I am at.
I generally paint with oils, sometimes acrylic. I generally use canvas, but enjoy experimenting with linen and board also. I paint from instinct, not formula.
I am kind of new to Perth, after a 10 year sojourn in the Pilbara. I have come back with new eyes, as an artist. I see the objects I paint as alive, part of us, complete with personality. They mean something to our lives.
I am thrilled to be able to show you my journey. Look out for the paintings for sale! If there is a painting you love but it has been sold, contact me and we can get a print made up.
- 2012 Popular Choice Award Joondalup Community Arts Award.
- Aug 2011 Won ‘Emerging Artist’ Cossack Art Award 2011, but was later revoked due to an administration error by putting me in the 18-25 year old category.
- April 2011 Artist in Residence/Solo Exhibition – ‘Annette Peterson’ at Blend(er) Gallery, Joondalup
- Jan 2010 Moved to Perth
- September 2009 Won ‘Encouragement Award’ Hedland Art Awards 2009
- April 2009 ‘Water’s Edge’ Dual exhibition with David Hooper
- February 2009 ‘Heart of the Pilbara’ Group P.H ototgraphy Exhibition
- October 2008 Won ‘Best Painting’ Hedland Art Awards 2008
- May 2008 Group Exhibition ‘Mangroves’ C3 Art Gallery
- August to October 2008 P.H.otography course held with Courthouse Art Gallery
- December 2007 Group Exhibition ‘Old Bodies’ C3 Art Gallery
- June 2007 First place in Photography competition for Port Hedland Visitors’ Centre
- September 2007 Won Best Painting by a Pilbara Artist Hedland Arts awards 2007
- July 2007 Group Exhibition ‘Glow’ C3 Art Gallery
- 1 May 2007 Fist Art class with David Hooper
- 2006 to 2011 Graphic Art for advertisements, promotions, posters for local gym, non-denominational events
- 2003 Journalist for Newspaper – Learnt to love photography
- 2000 to 2003 Worked with young children for a number of years doing arty things
- 1991 Runner-up Art Student in year 12 TEE Art for Belmont S H S
- 1989 to 1991 High School Studied art
1991 Runner-Up Art TEE Student BSHS
2007 Best Painting by a Pilbara Artist Hedland Art Awards
2008 Best Painting Hedland Art Awards
2009 Encouragement Award Hedland Art Awards
2012 Popular Choice Award Joondalup Community Arts Award